Youngster Meets Team Who Saved His Life After Car Accident

 Friday 19 September 2014

A schoolboy, who suffered critical injuries at a roadside when he was hit by a car, has been re-united with the team who saved his life.

Luke Minto,11, was so badly injured in the accident that his only chance of survival was to be placed into a coma where he lay.

Working alongside Scottish Ambulance Service Paramedics, the Medic 1 Trauma Team from Edinburgh Royal Infirmary put Luke into a medically-induced coma to prevent further injury to his brain during the dash to hospital.

Now for the first time, Luke and his parents Derek and Kelly, from Whitburn, West Lothian, have been reunited with the Paramedics, Doctors and Nurses who gave him a second chance.

Luke said: “I was excited but a bit nervous to meet the team. It was good to go in the Ambulance because I don’t remember being in there the first time.

“The only thing I remember about the accident is waking up in intensive care on Christmas Day and being a bit upset I’d miss Christmas and New Year.”

The accident happened last year as Luke, who was with his big sister Chelsea, 13, crossed the road near his home.

Luke was struck by the car and thrown to the ground unconscious.

Luke’s mum Kelly, 34, said: “Luke was crossing the road when it happened. I was in the house about three minutes away and when I got there Luke was lying on the roadside just screaming with blood coming from his nose, mouth and ears.

“I didn’t know at the time, but I’ve since learned that Luke was basically dying in front of the Paramedics in the Ambulance.”

Ambulance Paramedics, Peter Madden and Brian Mason, were the first to respond to the incident from their base in Livingston.

They requested the support of the Medic 1 team, which is based at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, as Luke had sustained a traumatic brain injury, bruising to his lungs and was suffering from suspected internal bleeding as well as an open leg fracture.

In a bid to protect his airway and brain, he was placed in a medical coma before being rushed to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh.

Brian said: ”We are delighted to be able to meet Luke and his family again and see just how well his recovery is going. When we arrived at the scene of his accident he was critically injured and it’s fantastic that we are all here today to see that he’s doing so well.”

Dr. Richard Lyon, Specialty Registrar in Emergency Medicine at NHS Lothian, said that without the procedure Luke could have died.

He said: “Medic 1 is like bringing the Emergency Department directly to the patient. Patients like Luke, who was struggling to breathe and had multiple life-threatening injuries when we arrived on scene, don't have time to be transported to hospital without intervention.

“Working with our Ambulance colleagues, the team performed an emergency anaesthetic, placing Luke into a medical coma. Without this procedure, Luke may have suffered severe brain damage or possibly died from his injuries.

“It is fantastic to see him and his family today and we are all delighted he has made such an amazing recovery.”

Luke, a Polkemmet Primary School pupil, spent several days in Intensive Care and underwent a number of operations to fix his leg.

On Christmas day, almost a week after the accident, he regained consciousness.

Kelly said: “It was the best Christmas present ever. Without the actions of the team my son wouldn’t be with me today. The team are unbelievable and don’t get enough credit for what they do.”

Luke’s dad, Derek, 38, said: “Luke still suffers from headaches and a bit of memory loss which is quite normal after a brain injury. He’s also lost some hearing in his right ear.

“But we’re really grateful that the Ambulance crew sent for the Medic 1 team because we have been told that if they hadn’t done this Luke would have died from his injuries.”