The Air Ambulance fleet comprises two helicopters and two fixed wing planes, all of which have been purpose built to our specifications.
Two Eurocopter EC 135 helicopters are based in Glasgow and Inverness. They respond to emergency calls and requests from remote, rural or island clinicians to provide medical care and transport to mainland health care facilities.
Two King Air 200c planes are based in Aberdeen and Glasgow and in the main, they respond to medical requests to transfer patients between hospitals.
In the summer of 2014 the two EC135 helicopters will be replaced with two EC145T2s. These will enhance the quality of patient care by:
- improving coverage of Scotland within 60 minutes
- providing clinicians more space and access to patients
- enhancing support for the Specialist Retrieval Services, through more space for personnel and equipment
- increasing opportunities for parents and carers to travel with patients
- reducing the need for re-fuelling stops.