Medical help

Two parents speak to their son

If the person you care for is:

  • seriously injured or their life is at risk

    You should always call 999 if someone is seriously injured or their life is at risk. When you call 999 the Scottish Ambulance Service will respond with the most appropriate help for your situation.
    Find out what happens when you call 999

    It will help the crew when the ambulance arrives if you provide them with following information about the person you care for:

    • any allergies which they suffer from
    • what medication they are on
    • any previous medication they have been on
    • when was the last meal they had
    • the events leading up to incident
  • has a minor illness that won't go away

    If the person you care for has an illness or symptoms like pain in the stomach, earache, backache or vomiting that won’t go away, contact your GP.  If your GP is closed and they are too ill to wait until it reopens, phone NHS 24 on 08454 24 24 24 (Textphone: 18001 08454 24 24 24)

  • has a minor illness

    If the person you care for has a minor illness like a cough, a cold or cuts and bruises. self care is the best option. If you are not sure what to do NHS Inform provides comprehensive health information and self care advice, including how to treat common problems yourself.

    For minor illnesses like coughs and colds or sprains, you can also drop into your local pharmacy anytime to get expert advice or information on healthcare, as well as help with your medicines. You don’t need to make an appointment.